Internet has become an indispensable part of our lives. Be it monetary transactions or uploading holiday photos on face book, everything is happening via internet. Surely this has made our lives easier, but it has also made important and private information very public. To ensure that your privacy remains intact and computing becomes 100 % safe, here are some very useful tips that will guide you through internet operation.
Face book Safety
- Use the “Privacy Link” on your face book page to its full potential. You can choose and limit the number of people that can view your profile. You can safeguard specific areas of your profile like contact information, pictures, what others will view on your wall etc.
- “Edit Settings” is another link that you should use to determine who has access to profile and who doesn’t. If you do not want your employer or random people to have a look into your account, you could control it with the help of “Edit Settings”.
- You can block others from your profile by adding their name in the block list. So, if you think that someone could be malicious with your personal details, just block him.
- Make your password as safe as possible and use all the three characters, letters, numbers and symbols, in your password. Many websites give an indication to show how strong your password is, follow that indication and make it the strongest.
- Change your password quite often. This is specially important if you are an user of public computers, because mostly they are infected with spyware which records all your data.
- Never reply to spam e mails. The purpose of spam e mails is to get your account details from a reply mail, do not fall for that trick.
- Protect your e mail account with an original and reputed anti-virus. Also ensure that it has USB, CD, DVD protection.
- Always log out from your e mail account before shutting down.
Safe from Phishing
Apart from these safety measures, beware of Phishing. Phishing is a way by which hackers try to get valuable information like, passwords, account information, social security number, credit card details etc.
- Use different passwords for different online accounts. Make them as strong as possible with the use of letters, numbers and special characters.
- Do not respond to any email that asks for personal information or bank details.
- Do not click on any link or image that is attached with unidentified mails.
- Check the URL name very minutely. Phishing mails might come in the disguise of a website that you commonly visit. For example, E bay, Amazon etc. the phishing mails will have some spelling variations in their URL, watch carefully before sharing any detail.
- Keep a track of your credit card account and bank account transactions with the help of regular e mail and mobile updates.
- Do not keep updating your present location online, or on social networking sites.
- Search yourself on the internet. This will give you a clear picture of what details others can find about you. You can then modify the information as required.
Internet is a boon, use it safely to ensure that you receive all the benefits and stay away from the problems that comes with it. After all, better safe than sorry!